The research agenda related to nutrition and metabolic diseases is growing. This is augmented by WVU’s status as an NIH-funded Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). The department of Medicine has a research infrastructure led by Dr. Feinberg, Vice-Chair for Research. The department has an Associate Vice Chair for Research, Research Analyst, Grant Writer, and is recruiting research coordinators. Dr. Haggerty has experience in mixed method study design, grant-writing, and practice-based research and is on the Editorial Board for the Obesity Pillars Journal.
Fellows are also encouraged to participate in the Fellows Research Academy (FRA)
Medical Weight Management has been site selected for two clinical trials with Rhythm Pharmaceuticals: A 2-Stage (Open-Label Run-in followed by Randomized Withdrawal), Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 2 Study of Setmelanotide in Patients with Specific Gene Defects in the Melanocortin-4 Receptor Pathway and A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study: 5 Independent Substudies of Setmelanotide in Patients with POMC, PCSK1, LEPR, SRC1, SH2B1, and PCSK1 N221D Gene Defects in the Melanocortin-4 Receptor Pathway.
Ongoing areas of research:
- Obesity medical education for rural primary care
- The use of m-health in the clinical setting for patient activation in treating metabolic diseases
- Efficacy and feasibility of a produce prescription program
- Quality improvement in treating obesity and metabolic diseases
- Telehealth in obesity treatment
- Evaluation of group obesity therapy using implementation framework
- Weight bias in medical education and other settings
- Weight management for cancer prevention
- Rare genetic causes of obesity
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and bariatric surgery
- Medical weight management after bariatric endoscopy procedures
- Davisson L, Haggerty TS, Tabone L, Imlay R, Eggleston E. Building a medical-surgical obesity center in an academic health system: Lessons learned. Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care. Accepted 7/2022.
- O’Kane CP, Avalon JC, Lacoste JL, Fang W, Bianco CM, Davisson L, Piechowski KL. Apixaban and rivaroxaban use for atrial fibrillation in patients with obesity and BMI ≥50 kg/m2. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 11/25/2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/phar.26551
- Bays HE, McCarthy W, Burridge K, Tondt J, Karjoo S, Christensen S, Ng J, Golden A, Davisson L, Richardson L. Obesity Algorithm eBook, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association. 2021. www.obesityalgorithm.org.
- Davisson L, Hernandez-Pachon MA, Haggerty TS. Rural Obesity Medical Education for Primary Care in West Virginia: A Needs Assessment. WVMJ. Special issue 3/2021.
- Sofka, S, Lerfald N, Reece J, Davisson L, Howsare J, Thompson J. Universal Well-being Assessment Associated with Increased Resident Utilization of Mental Health Resources and Decrease in Professionalism Breaches. J Grad Med Educ. (Feb 2021) 13 (1): 83-88. https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-2
- Davisson L. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metabolic Syndrome, & Obesity in Pregnancy, book chapter in Endocrine Diseases in Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period. Dec 31, 2021, CRC Press. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781003027577-40.
- Bays HE, McCarthy W, Christensen S, Tondt J, Karjoo S, Davisson L, Ng J, Golden A, Burridge K, Conroy R, Wells S, Umashanker D, Afreen S, DeJesus R, Salter D, Shah N. Obesity Algorithm eBook, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association. 2020. www.obesityalgorithm.org.
- Davisson L, Sofka S. “Cleanse” detoxification diet program in Appalachia: Participant characteristics and perceived health effects. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine. 2019 Sep 17. https://doi.org/10.1515/jcim-2018-0174. PMID: 31536033.
- Barr ML, Tabone L, Cox S, Brode C, Szoka N, Olfert IM, Davisson L, Olfert MD. Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in Appalachia Influenced by Surgery Type, Diabetes, and Depression. Obesity Surgery. 2019 Jan 6. https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s11695-018-03650-1. PMID: 30613934.
- Grogg KA, Giacobbi Jr PR, Blair EK, Haggerty TS, Lilly CL, Winters CS, Kelley GA. Physical Activity Assessment and Promotion in Clinical Settings in the United States: A Scoping Review. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2022 Feb 27:08901171211051840.
- Haggerty t, Brabson L, Grogg KA, Herschell AD, Giacobbi P, Sedney C, Dino G. Usability Testing of an Electronic Health Application for Patient Activation on Weight Management. mHealth, 7/2021.
- University of Nevada Reno Medicine Grand Rounds (Virtual), Transforming Obesity Management, Sept. 2021
- Anthony DiBartolomeo Internal Medicine Conference, Morgantown, WV, Obesity Medicine: Facts vs. Fiction, Sept. 2018
- ACP WV Chapter Meeting, Roanoke, WV, Obesity Clinical Pearls, 2017
- Hal Wanger Family Medicine Conference, Morgantown, WV, Diets and Weight Loss Options, 2015
- Advance Practice Professional (APP) WVU Medicine Grand Rounds, Obesity Medicine, April 2022
- WVU Medicine Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Obesity Medicine, April 2022
- WVU WISH February Conference Series recognizing AHA’s Go Red for Women Initiative, Health effects of implicit weight bias & sleep quality: WVU Medical Weight Management’s role beyond weight loss, 2021
- WVU Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Obesity Medicine: Building the Program During the COVID-19 Era, 2020
- WVU Culinary Medicine Summer Externship, WVU Eastern Campus, Obesity Medicine, 2019 and 2020
- Arvon J, Davisson L, Haggerty T. Inpatient management of obesity. WV ACP. Poster presentation (virtual Nov 2021) then selected for oral presentation (presented in person Jan 2022)
- Dekeseredy P, Haggerty T, Davisson L, Sedney CL. An Exploration of Twitter Discourse on Obesity Medicine. Thinking Qualitatively Conference (Virtual) July 2021. Poster presentation
- Cross A, Arvon J, Davisson L, Haggerty TS. Quality Improvement in Obesity Treatment: Visit Frequency as a Key Metric. WV ACP Nov 2020. (Virtual) Poster presentation
- Cross A, Arvon J, Davisson L, Haggerty TS. Describing the characteristics of patients who sought treatment in a multidisciplinary weight management clinic in West Virginia. Health meets Food: The Culinary Medicine Conference 2020. Poster presentation
- Hernandez-Pachon MA, Davisson L, Haggerty TS. Rural Obesity Medical Education for Primary Care in West Virginia: A Needs Assessment. Appalachian Translational Research Network’s Health Summit (Virtual). Sept 2020. Oral presentation
- Hernandez-Pachon MA, Davisson L, Haggerty TS. Rural Obesity Medical Education for Primary Care in West Virginia: A Needs Assessment. WV Nov ACP 2020. Poster presentation—1st place, advanced to national ACP
- Hernandez-Pachon MA, Davisson L, Haggerty TS. Rural Obesity Medical Education for Primary Care in West Virginia: A Needs Assessment. WV Rural Health Conference 2020. Poster presentation
- Davisson L, Yednock J, Harris B, Szoka N, Mcdonald M, Thompson J. Weight Bias Intervention in a Medicine Clerkship. AAIM Academic Internal Medicine Week, CDIM. April 2019. Poster presentation
- Kidd K, Davisson L, Murray P. Why do doctors object? Conscientious objection in reproductive medicine. NASPAG. April 2019. Poster presentation
- Kidd K, Jones KA, Davisson L, Murray P. Conscientious Objection by Primary Care Trainee & Faculty Physicians in an Appalachian Health Care System. SAHM. Mar 2019. Poster presentation