Research opportunities abound in our department. Whether you come to us as a novice researcher or an experienced publisher and grant writer, our department has the support structure in place to allow you to reach success in scholarly activity and publication.
Our department has a phenomenal research support system, composed of our Director of Research and Scholarship, Dr. Stephanie Rellick. In addition, the department has a Scholarship Oversight Committee (SOC), a team of faculty members that aim to support residents in all stages of scholarship, from project idea, to design, to data analysis, to presentation, to manuscript and beyond. The SOC meets with each resident individually every 6 months, starting second half of PGY-1 year to offer support and mentorship.
In accordance with ACGME common program requirements, a scholarly activity of publishable quality is expected during your residency. If you have a passion for doing additional scholarly activity, your interests will be fully supported, and you will have the research support staff and faculty mentors to assist you in making your research efforts successful. Residents are encouraged and supported in presenting their research at local, regional, national and international conferences and are financially supported by the department when doing so.
Recent areas of research interest of faculty and residents include, but are not limited to:
- Stop the bleed education
- Residency selection process—including multi-institutional projects
- DVT/PE Research, in collaboration with the well renowned Jeff Kline, MD and colleagues
- Use of bedside ultrasound in the ED
- Bedside ultrasound in medical education
- Traumatic brain injury
- Sports-related injuries
- Alcohol-related injuries
- ATV and MVC trauma related injuries
- Quality Improvement
- Pediatric & Adult Trauma
- Substance abuse disorders, inclusive of Medication Assisted Therapy (MAT)
- The business and productivity of emergency medicine
- Rural emergency medicine
- Wilderness medicine
- Mass gathering event research (EMS events, marathon, world bike race competition, etc)
- Clinical case reports