WVU Residents receive a variety of benefits. For the most up to date salary information and a sample residency contract, please visit the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
- Vacation—3 weeks paid vacation per year PLUS 5 days off at Christmas or New Years
- Health Insurance—residents are eligible to enroll through the State Employees Health Insurance Plan (WV PEIA) or via state contracted HMO (Health Plan)
- Malpractice Insurance—provided by the State Board of Risk to all residents at WVU. It is an occurrence based policy that does not require purchase of a tail. Malpractice coverage does not extend to moonlighting activities.
- Meals, white coats, scrubs—White coats and scrubs are provided by the Department. Meal cards are provided to residents to cover the cost of meals while on shift and on call.
- Subscriptions— residents are provided with subscriptions to Rosh Review (online question bank to help you prepare for the EM In-training examination), EMedHome (online source for EM lectures/podcasts), ACEP, SAEM, and EMRA
- Parking—Areas at the hospital are reserved for resident parking, free of charge to the resident
- Continuing Medical Education --$750 per resident annually, with additional compensation for chiefs and assistant chiefs, plus additional conference support, as below.
- Conference attendance and travel—WVU Emergency Medicine sponsors PGY-1 attendance at SAEM and PGY-3 attendance at ACEP. Additionally, as we strongly support and encourage resident research, the costs associated with attendance and travel to any conference where a resident has an abstract accepted for presentation will be covered by the department. Residents with a particular interest in residency leadership and education also frequently attend Council of Residency Director (CORD) Academic Assembly, with our Residency Leadership Team.