- Assistant Director of Recruitment, Health Professions
Occupational Therapy OTD Early Assurance Program (EAP)
The OTD Early Assurance Program (EAP) provides a pathway for well-qualified WVU Exercise Physiology (EXPH) undergraduate students to enter the WVU Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD) program following completion of an EXPH baccalaureate degree and meeting all other requirements outlined below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I qualify for the EAP?
To be eligible for the EAP, you must:
- Be enrolled at WVU as an Exercise Physiology major.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (overall and OTD prerequisite) or greater at the time the early assurance is granted. Students can apply for the EAP at any time during their sophomore or junior year in the Exercise Physiology program.
How do I participate in the EAP?
If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above express your interest today by competing this form.
What are the benefits of participating in the EAP?
EAP offers the following benefits:
- Guaranteed acceptance into the WVU OTD program pending satisfactory completion of all academic, prerequisite, and other admissions requirements.
- Shadowing opportunities with occupational therapy faculty in the faculty practice clinic and/or a WVU Medicine facility.
- EAP students will have the opportunity to meet with occupational therapy faculty and students throughout their undergraduate studies.
- EAP students will receive special consideration for a one-time, scholarship opportunity ($1,000) during the first year of the OTD program. Two one-time scholarships will be awarded in the fall semester per year.
What academic requirements will I be expected to meet while in the EAP?
While in the EAP you must:
- Achieve an overall and OTD pre-requisite GPA of 3.0 or higher. A grade of “C” or higher is required in all OTD prerequisite coursework.
- Successfully complete at least 20 hours of shadowing with an occupational therapist.
- Complete all OTD prerequisites by the end of the fall semester in the senior year of the WVU Exercise Physiology program.
As an EXPH student, what other requirements do I need to complete prior to entering the OTD program?
You must also:
- Obtain two satisfactory letters of recommendation.
- Completion of an OTD Program application through OTCAS.
- Must complete a minimum of 10 shadowing hours with OT faculty in clinical practice. These can be counted towards the 20-hour requirement noted above.
When will I be notified if I have been accepted into the OTD program?
EAP applicants will be reviewed each July, with interviews conducted in August following your EAP application. You will be notified of your eligibility status for OTD program enrollment no later than October 1.
What if I change my mind and no longer want to be in the EAP?
You may leave the EAP program at any time by notifying the OTD Program Director. If you withdraw but decide at a later date that you wish to pursue an OTD degree, and you meet the minimum qualifications for admission, you may still apply via our regular admission pathway through OTCAS.
Have additional questions? Contact Julie Day, Assistant Director of Recruitment, or Kim Klaus (for admissions prerequisite, tracking, or process questions).